ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1587, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded, after being implicated in a plot to kill her cousin, Queen Elizabeth.
On this date in 1883, the fountain pen was invented.
In 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated. Congrats on 100 years of Scouting!
President Warren G. Harding installed the very first radio in the White House in 1922.
On this date in 1936, Denver hit it's all time lowest-temperature of 36 below zero.
In 1980, President Carter proposed a military draft that included women as well as men.
On this date in 1983, a man in Arizona was convicted of bigamy and having 105 wives.
Troubled child actor Gary Coleman celebrates his 42nd, Nick Nolte turns 70, and "Nightline" host Ted Koppel also turns 70 today.
Dump Your Significant Jerk Day -- 63% of women initiate all breakups, and 62% of men polled by Glamour said they would stay friends with a woman after she told them she didn't want to date them.
THIS WEEK IS
National Flirting Week -- February 8-14. So, guys when are women really flirting?
- She's starts flipping her hair, playing with her clothes or jewlery.
- If she laughs she thinks you're cute of funny, (guffaws mean she wants to split.)
- If she moves her body a lot, she's trying to get your attention.
And a few more...
- When girls don't run as fast as they can
- When they don't scream really loud
- When they linger even after the recess bell has rung
- When they blow kisses out the back window of the bus
- When they're willing to make out through a chain link fence
Here are "ways to flirt" from Self magazine:
- Start with a type one glance. It's a generalized introduction to your environment. You simply "scope out" the room until you see someone you like.
- Now that you've found him focus on him with a bout of type tow or "short, darting" glances in his general direction. Gradually work some smiles in.
- If you're talking with a friend, stay animated. Primp a little. Touch your clothes even if they don't adjusting. Toss your head back, run your fingers through your hair and do some hair flips!
- If he still doesn't approach, "parade" past him on the way to the restroom or jukebox. On your way back to your chair; throw him a glance.
- Back at your seat, give him more direct stares. If there's music, move your body to the beat. If that doesn't get him, he's probably married; Try another guy.
Celebration of Love Week -- February 8-14. A professor at Bowling Green State University has done a number of studies on romantic behavior. He asked adults between the ages of 18 and 79 what the most romantic behavior is -- and here's the top ten:
- The kiss
- Flowers (giving and receiving)
- Dinner (out; making dinner for/with me; candlelight, wine, music, no kids)
- Holding hands
- The Hug (in bed after the alarm goes off; unexpected)
- Sharing outdoor leisure activities (picnics, beach, ice skating, moonlight swim or drive, fishing, walk in the park)
- Gifts (expensive; diamonds; jewelry; candy; unexpected or surprise gifts)
- Walking (in the evening; at night; in the rain; in the moonlight)
- Touching (hand on knee; pat on shoulder or hand; slight caress; petting; caressing; head in lap or sitting on lap; playing with hair)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Lady Gaga's biography will be out next month.
- Disney Channel star Tiffany Thornton is engaged.
- Frances Reid, who played Alice Horton on "Day of Our Lives" for four decades, has died at age 95.
- Not that I think it's a good idea, but I'm telling you: the producers of "American Idol" are talking to Howard Stern about being Simon Cowell's replacement.
- The LA County coroner has ruled that Brittany Murphy's death was the result of a combination of things -- pneumonia, anemia and prescription drugs.
- Kate Gosselin is returning to host "The View" next month.
- Charlie Sheen's stolen Mercedes was found overturned hundreds of feet down a cliff near his Sherman Oaks, CA, home Friday.
- The reason Randy Jackson is always wearing a different pair of sunglasses on American Idol is because he has his own line of sunglasses to push.
Cosmopolitan magazine readers reveal the number one thing that makes them green with envy:
- 16% said money
- 15% said a great boyfriend
- 15% said a fun social life
- 13% said good looks
- 9% said confidence
- 9% said attention from guys
- 9% said nice things like a car, a house, clothes, jewelry
- 7% said intelligence or creativity
- 5% said a cool job
Want to catch the eye of the cutie standing next to you? Duh, try smiling. According to a recent study reported in the Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology, men ranked girls who were showing their pearly whites as more attractive than those who weren't. According to researchers, a genuine smile signals datable qualities like you're generous, trustworthy, and not a drama queen. (Cosmopolitan)
Watch out for the latest road hazard drunken La-Z-Boy drivers. In Geelong, Australia, Luke Hopgood, 22, was fined $900 after taking his recliner go-kart for a spin. A breathalyzer found he was twice the legal limit. And in Proctor, Minnesota, Dennis LeRoy Anderson, 62, left his local bar and crashed his recliner, powered by a lawn mower engine, into a parked car. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and two years' probation. (Sun)
If you're distracted like by an incoming call, you're more apt to be susceptible to alluring advertisements, the Journal of Consumer Research reports. It turns out you're likelier to buy based on subconscious, ad-influenced feeling when you're not focused. (Self)
Breaking up is hard to do -- for men. A recent survey shows women are more likely to say "shove off" than guys. In fact, 63% of break-ups are initiated by women. The poll, by online love site Match.com had some other titillating tidbits about unhappy couples.
- Spring is the least likely season to split. Only 15% of pairs part during those months, compared to 38% who call it quits in winter.
- 63% of breakups are initiated by females.
- 37% of Americans think breaking up by e-mail is okay, but only 9% have actually said goodbye through the computer.
- 4% say the hardest part of terminating a romance is getting your stuff back.
This is just plain weird -- People seeking their 15 minutes of fame are hiring photographers to "stalk" them on their nights out. The cost? Up to $15,000.
You may have suspected, but now a study confirms it: Bad boys get more sex. Researchers found that guys with personality traits like callousness, impulsiveness, and narcissism land more sexual partners over the short term than sweethearts do.
A recent Lavalife poll found that 68% of single men size up a girl for a second date in 8 minutes or less.