ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1789, electors unanimously chose George Washington as our country's first president.
In 1801, John Marshall was sworn in as chief justice of the United States.
On this date in 1927, the first talking picture appeared in theaters.
In 1941, the USO was founded.
On this date in 1957, the very first portable electric typewriter went on sale.
Natalie Imbruglia celebrates her 35th,
Former vice-president Dan Quayle turns 63 today.
THIS MONTH IS
Weddings Month -- The "average wedding" these days runs you more than $23,000! Why is it that the cost of weddings is going up and the number of couples staying married is going down? Maybe the cost is proportionate to the lasting power of the relationship, that is the less the couple spends on the "material" items i.e. the perfect dress, the ice sculpture, the country club reception, the cinematographers, the white doves, stretch limos. The more likely they stay together. Current average expenses:
- Wedding dress: $1,450
- Cake: $410
- Music/DJ: $971
- Reception: $14,540
- Flowers: $1,500
- Honeymoon: $6,000
- Bachelor party $800 (mostly $1's and $5's!)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Looks like they're going to charge Michael Jackson's doctor with manslaughter, rather than taking the case to a grand jury.
- Ashton Kutcher turns 32 on Sunday. His present from wife Demi Moore? They'll be in Miami for the Super Bowl.
- The U.S. Tax Court has ruled that a woman can deduct the cost of her sex-change operation from her taxes.
- So Pamela Anderson held a fashion show in Miami this week to show off her new line of clothes and... only 20 people showed up.
- According to a report in Annal of Behavioral Medicine people who keep the weight under control have an average of 2.6 televisions at home. Unsuccessful dieters own 3.4 televisions.
- A guy who claims the show was his idea is suing Randy Jackson for his "America's Best Dance Crew" show.
- "Boston Legal" actor Justin Mentell died in a car accident early Monday morning. He was driving alone in Wisconsin without a seatbelt on when he struck two trees and was thrown from his car.
- Super Bowl facts: About 7.5 million parties are held on Super Bowl Sunday with 43.9 million party attendees. The game is broadcast into 232 countries and territories and in 34 languages. 8 million pounds of avocados are sold in preparation for Super Bowl Sunday.
Men's Health lets you know how the fates have treated you:
- 42% of men consider themselves lucky
- 80% say luck is largely self-made
- 45% of men wear lucky clothes to boost their love lives
- 48% of men have escaped death and consider themselves lucky to be alive
- 5% of men will not fly on Friday the 13th
- 14% of men avoid crossing paths with a black cat
- 44% of men say Lady Luck has bestowed good parking karma on them
- 32% of sports fans have superstitious rituals to help their team win
- 34% fear their favorite football player may succumb to the "Madden Curse"
- 42%, on average, is the drop in Touch Downs scored by players after they appeared on the cover of Madden NFL
- 56% of gambling men say they're unlucky at gambling, $6.9 billion is left in Las Vegas by unlucky bettors
- Texas hold'em is the casino game in which good luck is least likely to help, 50% of good players have won the game with a bad hand
- 32% of men consider finding money on the ground proof of their good fortune, $191 is the total amount of moola men think they've found in a life time
- 5% of men have tried to swipe some luck by fishing coins out of a fountain
- 14% of men have used lucky numbers from a fortune cookie to play the lottery, in 2005, $19 million was won by playing 'cookie numbers'
- 1 in 195,249,054 are the odds of winning The Powerball Jackpot
- 1 in 450,379 are the odds of pulling a Tom Brady and scoring a Supermodel
- Brad Pitt is the man guys say "is the luckiest self-made devil of them all"
While black clothing definitely flatters the figure and is usually appropriate for just about any occasion, it can make your face look years older, according to color expert Jules Standish. Only one in five of us has the skin tone to wear black well. And the rest? Black clothing flattens a golden-looking skin tone and emphasizes dark lines under the chin, shadows around the eyes and wrinkles on the face. It can even make you appear to have dark spokes or fissures in your iris.
Men only buy their own underpants when they are hoping to entice a potential partner into a relationship, according to a new survey. The poll by British retailer Debenhams showed that men normally leave the purchasing of their underwear to their mothers until about the age of 19, relatively late when compared to women, who start buying their own around 13. Between 19 and 23, men tend to buy their own underwear, up to 31 pairs a year, in the belief that wearing new underpants is an essential prerequisite to a relationship.
"No, Seriously: Employees Must Wash Hands Before Returning To Work!" This classic directive just isn't enough of a reminder for some folks. If you suspect your co-workers aren't washing their hands after using the bathroom, try hanging a sign that says, "Is the person next to you washing with soap?" In a recent study in the American Journal of Public Health, researchers found that those exact words most effectively sent people to the sink. (Men's Health)