ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1783, George Washington bid farewell to his troops at a tavern in New York.
In 1816, James Monroe was elected president.
On this date in 1839, the Whig party held its first convention.
In 1918, Woodrow Wilson became the first U.S. president to travel outside the country while in office.
Tyra Banks turns 36 today. Marisa Tomei turns 45, Max Baer Jr. who played Jethro on "The Beverly Hillbillies" turns 72, and former game show host and radio DJ Wink Martindale turns 75.
National Cookie Day -- There's more going on inside your cookie jar than meets your taste buds. In fact, psychologists have discovered that the way your cookie crumbles reveals the flavor of your personality, says family therapist Jim Franklin.
- Chocolate Chip -- You're as American as apple pie, and you're raising your kids with the traditional values you treasure. Your low-key approach to life makes you a favorite with family and friends because you bring a steadying influence to the most chaotic situations.
- Ginger Snaps -- You're bold, brave and in search of excitement. Life is never dull when you're around, and both kids and adults are attracted by your zest for life. You never shy away from new adventures, leading a happy band of friends and family who'll gladly follow you anywhere.
- Graham Crackers -- You're softhearted and kind with a taste for nostalgia. You have many fond memories of your childhood, and your closet is probably stuffed with keepsakes from years gone by. But you don't dwell on the past because you're too busy making memories today.
- Vanilla Wafers -- You have uncanny intuitive powers that give you the unique ability to size up a situation or a person with breathtaking accuracy. Loved ones caught up in complex problems often turn to you for advice because they know you'll steer them in the right direction.
- Sandwich Cookies -- Whether you eat the creme filling first or dunk them in milk, your choice says you're a creative person with a vivid imagination. A born storyteller, you're often the center of attention at parties, regaling your pals with funny, sometimes outrageous, tales.
- Fig Newtons -- Quiet, reserved and mature, your keen mind makes you a force to be reckoned with. You always have your "ducks in a row," and your organizational skills assure your home and job are both running smoothly. Just don't forget, spontaneity is a good thing too.
- Sugar Cookies -- You're a nonconformist who believes that variety is the spice of life. Your avid interest in a multitude of subjects, teamed with your antiestablishment sensibility, makes you a challenging companion. You may not always take the safe path, but there's no doubt that life with you is never dull.
- Oatmeal -- As homespun and down-to-earth as a comfy pair of slippers, you're a genius at making others feel loved. Your family and friends blossom under the warmth of your generous spirit, while your practical approach to problems helps you find the best route to a solution that satisfies everyone involved.
- Shortbread -- You present a placid face to the world, but beneath your calm facade beats the heart of a passionate romantic. In fact, those closest to you would be amazed by your colorful fantasy life. Once you've found the right partner, you're able to give this untapped side free rein with totally satisfying results.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Tom Brady says he knows the gender of his baby on the way, but his wife Gisele Bunchen doesn't and he's not telling.
- Dating: Julianne Hough and Kings of Leon bass player Jared Followill.
- Adam Lambert has gotten another cancelation from ABC... this time, the Jimmy Kimmel show. Meanwhile, a scheduled appearance on the New Year's Eve Special is now being called "tentative."
- It looks like Tori and Candy Spelling have finally reconciled.
- Michael Jackson's kids are loving their martial arts classes.
- Beginning next month, ABC is moving "Ugly Betty" to Wednesday nights at 10.
- John Mellencamp has told his son that he'll quit smoking once he gets a million people to join his Facebook page.
- Diane Sawyer wraps her time at "Good Morning, America" next week... but no replacement has yet been announced.
- And now a third woman, a Las Vegas nightclub executive, has stepped forward to say she's another one of Tiger's girls.
- Sara Rue from "Less than Perfect" is the newest Jenny Craig spokesperson.
- Men who exercise vigorously for at least 30 minutes a day are far less likely to ever develop cancer, according to a study from researchers at the universities of Kuopio and Oulu in Finland.
- Appearing at an event with Reese Witherspoon, the prime minister of Britain confused her with Renee Zellweger... calling her "Renee Witherspoon."
Movie veteran Gary Busey has been named and shamed as the unsexiest man in Hollywood in a new Internet poll, edging out surprise contenders Justin Long, Kevin Spacey, Mickey Rourke and Joaquin Phoenix. Here are Moviefone's top 10 unsexy actors:
- Gary Busey
- Kevin Spacey
- Justin Long
- Paul Giamatti
- Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Randy Quaid
- Michael Moore
- Mickey Rourke
- Joaquin Phoenix
- John C. Reilly
There is a new campaign in California that aims to protect the institution of marriage. An effort is being made to collect the 694,354 signatures of registered voters required to place the California Marriage Protection Act on the state's ballot in 2010. The proposed bill aims to make divorce illegal.
Researchers from England's Bath University have determined that the secret to a happy marriage is for men to marry a woman who is at least five years younger and more educated. Couples that fit these characteristics are far more likely to have a long and happy marriage than other couples. Study leader Dr. Emmanuel Fragniere says using objective factors, such as age, education and cultural origin instead of love and attraction "may help reduce divorce."
Men are far more likely to seek out and have casual sex than women for one simple reason: They want it. Well, duh! That's the word from British researchers who questioned young American, German and Italian men and women to find out their attitudes about one-night stands. The men were not only more likely than the women to agree to casual sex, but also they expressed a greater desire for it than women. In addition, the men were far less choosy than women when it comes to the appearance of their sexual partners.