ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1925, the very first crude TV images were created. Technical crude, not "South Park" crude.
In 1945, the government ended shoe rationing.
On this date in 1974, Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman in a fight.
Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka, turns 28. Harry Hamlin is 58, Henry Winkler, "The Fonz," turns 64 today.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- CNN's Lou Dobbs claims that shots were fired at his home and his wife.
- Russia is now offering the world's most expensive SUV. Lots of extras, including diamond-encrusted speed gauges, gold-plated windows and a tungsten exhaust, all for just $1.5 million.
- Victoria Beckham has announced she's developing her own line of clothes and handbags.
- Octomom Nadya Suleman dressed up as a pregnant nun and had her octuplets decked out in red devil costumes earlier this week.
- David Beckham says he grew a beard so he could look like Wolverine for Halloween.
- Kylie Minogue's sister, Danni, says that she posed for Playboy because she needed the money and didn't want to ask her famous sister for the cash.
- A big storm dumped up to 3-feet of snow in some parts of Colorado.
- Police have arrested a group of teens who liked to rob the homes of celebrites. Among their victims: Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Audrina Patridge, Orlando Bloom, Megan Fox, Brian Austin Green, Ashley Tisdale and Rachel Bilson.
- Corey Feldman says he's "deeply hurt" from his wife filing for divorce.
- Jessica Biel has signed to star in the movie, "F***ing Engaged."
- Marc Cherry has signed a new deal that could keep "Desperate Housewives" on TV through 2013.
- The NRA is suing to break the city of Seattle's new ban on guns in public parks.
- Have you seen a picture of Cher's daughter-turned-son, Chastity? He really does look like Sonny.
77% of men seek out girlfriends who have potential as a wife. That's the word from the Great Male Survey conducted by AskMen.com. The results challenge most modern conceptions of men, who are often portrayed as being immature, insensitive and afraid of commitment. Instead, the survey found, modern man is driven by a sense of values, loyalty and family. Want more?
- 77% of men look for girlfriends with "wife potential."
- 69% of men would never cheat on their partner.
- 61% of men feel that the depiction of the male gender in commercials is not accurate.
- 60% of men are nostalgic for the days when a handshake in business meant something.
- 57% of men cook at home and enjoy doing it.
- 56% of men say that being a good father or husband makes a man "manly."
The worst time to wake up is before 5am. And it's best for your heart health to sleep in until 7am or 8am -- every day, say researchers from several universities and hospitals in the western Japanese city of Kyoto. The Japanese research team found a definite link between wake-up times and a person's cardiovascular system. Specifically, the team found that people who habitually rise before 5am have a 1.7 times greater risk of high blood pressure and are twice as likely to develop hardening of the arteries as those who get up at 7am or 8am. Women's Health asked 3,351 women, "What kind of food do you reach for when under pressure?"
- 33% said chocolate in any form
- 16% said booze
- 12% said a pint of ice cream
- 12% said a bag of potato chips
- 12% said "other"
- 7% said a burger and fries
- 4% said a heaping plate of pasta
- 4% said a Big Gulp sodas
If you want to boost your sex appeal, be warm and open. In an experiment, 230 men and women rated the attractiveness of facial photos with different expressions, making eye contact or not, and smiling or not. The photos were much more likely to be deemed attractive if the models had been looking directly at the camera and smiling. Researchers concluded that positive social cues play a major role in human attraction.
What is the most frequently misspelled word? It's "supersede." That's the word from Collins Dictionaries of Britain. The company says "supersede" is misspelled one out of every 10 times it is used because many other words with phonetically similar endings, such as "intercede" and "precede," are spelled with the letter "c" instead of "s." The runners-up were conscience, indict, foreign, mortgage and phlegm.
Your wife is helping you live longer. True. Scientists have confirmed what happily married couples have long known that a good marriage can bring you a long, healthy life. Married couples in a good relationship lived up to five years longer than their unmarried cohorts, suffered fewer colds and infections, had lower blood pressure and lower levels of cancer, flu, Alzheimer's and depression. Researchers at Ohio Sate University recently discovered that even wounds heal as much as 40 percent quicker if you're happily married. There is one downside to domestic bliss. A Department of Health and Human Services survey found that marriage tends to increase your waist size to the tune of around 5 pounds. (Sun)