ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1759, the French surrendered Quebec to the British. And a French tradition was born.
On this date in 1793, George Washington laid the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol building.
In 1851, the New York Times went on sale for the first time at 2 cents a copy.
Lance Armstrong turns 38, Jada Pinkett Smith celebrates her 38th birthday, James Gandolfini turns 48 today. He's still having a hard time moving past his character of Tony from "The Sopranos, funny guys, Fred Willard, turns 70 today.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Kevin Skinner, the singing chicken farmer from Kentucky, was the big winner on "America's Got Talent," which means $1-milion and a Vegas show. Performing, not watching.
- Kathy Ireland split her leg open while surfing with her son last weekend. A few stitches later, she's back on the dance floor getting ready for Monday's first round of "Dancing with the Stars."
- Vince McMahon's wife Linda has resigned as the chief executive of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. so that she can seek the Republican nomination for Chris Dodd's Connecticut senate seat.
- 73-year-old Burt Reynolds has checked into a rehab center to "regain control" of his life.
- Chris Brown has started serving his 180-day community service sentence in Virginia. Graffiti removal and washing cars, among other things.
- Jenna Elfman is pregnant with her 2nd baby with husband Bodhi Elfman.
- Bobby Rydell has been charged with a DUI after crashing his 1969 Bentley into the wall of a yoga studio near Philadelphia.
- The guy holding the flower and reading poetry on "Laugh In," Henry Gibson, has died at age 73. Maybe you remember him better as Wilbur the Pig in the movie, "Charlotte's Web."
- Mary Travers -- the Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary -- has died from cancer at age 72.
- For the record, I'm counting Patrick Swayze, Henry Gibson and Mary Travers as "the three."
- Kendra Wilkinson's husband, Hank Baskett, was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles to make room on the roster for Michael Vick. He won't be unemployed long.
- "The Newlywed Game" is going to welcome it's first gay couple this season. George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu on Star Trek, will appear with his partner, Brad Altman.
- Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol" already sold a million copies after only one day.
- That $8,000 first-time home buyers tax credit is running out. The home sale has to close by November 30th to qualify.
- In case you were wondering, Nick Jonas got a piano for his recent 17th birthday.
If you want to live with the young and rich, move to Washington, DC. Sixteen counties in Virginia and Maryland that are close-in to Washington, are in the top 50 counties nationwide with the highest concentration of young and wealthy people, according to a survey by The Nielsen Company. They're 25 to 35 with annual incomes over $100,000. The top 10 counties nationwide of households with $100,000+ income:
- Loudoun County, VA (DC metro area)
- Arlington County, VA (DC metro area)
- San Francisco County, CA
- New York County, NY
- Douglas County, CO
- Forsyth County, GA
- Alexandria City, VA (DC metro area)
- Delaware County, O
- Scott County, MN
- Broomfield County, CO
So, who's your favorite Beatle? Paul McCartney topped a poll of Americans with nearly 30% of the vote. He dominated among those over 30 and over 65.The poll, conducted by Zogby International, ranked John Lennon second at 16%, George Harrison at 10% and Ringo Starr at 9%. A surprising 22% said they don't like the Beatles, while 3% said they didn't know the British rock group's music well enough to have an opinion. FYI: Last week the Beatles sold 626,000 albums.
Men are far more likely to seek out and have casual sex than women for one simple reason: They want it. Well duh... That's the word from British researchers who questioned 860 young American, German and Italian men and women to find out their attitudes about one-night stands. The men were not only more likely than the women to agree to casual sex, but also they expressed a greater desire for it than women. In addition, the men were far less choosy than women when it comes to the appearance of their sexual partners.