ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1787, the constitution of the United States was completed and signed.
In 1796, President Washington gave his farewell speech, saying he was retiring for good.
On this date in 1920, the American Professional Football Association -- which became the NFL -- was formed in Canton, Ohio.
In 1964, the TV show "Bewitched" made its debut.
Singer Anastacia turns 36, Cassandra Peterson turns 58 today. She's a seasonal worker and it's just about her time again. She's the one who plays "Elvira, mistress of the Dark."
Basketball Coach Phil Jackson turns 64.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Heidi Montag got a puppy for her recent 23rd birthday, a "Maltipoo," which she named Dolly after Dolly Parton.
- The FDA has approved a new Swine Flu vaccine, which should be available over the next four weeks.
- Jenna Elfman won't be acting when she plays a pregnant woman in a new CBS sitcom, "Accidentally on Purpose," this fall. She's expecting her second child in real life.
- Chris Noth said he went to the Brazilian rainforest to naturally slim down for the latest "Sex and the City" movie.
- Buffalo's Leodis McKelvin fumbled the ball this past Monday night to give New England a chance to come back and win the game. That night, vandals spray-painted an obscenity and the score on the front lawn of his Buffalo home. Tough home town.
- The Toronto International Film Festival is underway.
- Look at him go: comedian Eddie Izzard just ran his 43rd marathon in the last 52 days.
- Michael Jackson's kids enjoyed a visit to Disneyland last Thursday, including a private showing of the Michael Jackson 3-D movie, "Captain Eo." Crews shut down the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" attraction down and moved in equipment to make it happen.
- The 61st Primetime Emmy Awards are this Sunday night, with Neil Patrick Harris as host.
- The Obama administration wants 35.5-miles per gallon the standard by the year 2016.
- An Arkansas couple who gave birth to a child on 9-9-09 also had a daughter last year on 8-8-08!
Men's Health's The Average Guy rings up the data on men and their digital sidekicks:
- 61% of men have swapped their glorified walkie-talkies for smartphones
- 59% of mobile media junkies are male
- 20% of BlackBerry addicts still keep a regular cellphone handy
- 90% of iPhone enthusiasts wouldn't think of letting another phone share pocket space with their baby
- 34% of men say they've felt smartphone envy
- $216 is the average price paid for men's quest for technological superiority
- $3,350 is the price of President Barack Obama's ultrasecure, spyproof super BlackBerry
- $110 is the average amount a data fiend hands over to a wireless carrier each month
- 14.5% of men have never racked up a bill larger than a car payment
- 14.5% of employers pay for employees smartphones
- 14% of media time is spent on smartphones
- 70% of mobile access takes place in the home
- 75% of men have surfed on the smartphone while sitting on the toilet
- 14.5% of men have dropped their smartphone in the toilet bowl
- 67% of men say they bring their mobile device to bed
- 62% of men say using a smartphone makes them more productive
- 14% of men use their gadgets to bypass porn blockers at work
- 7,000 is the average number of texts recently exchanged daily for a month by two Pennsylvania men who were trying to set a record
- $26,686.64 was one guy's bill for that stunt, and the bill was waived
- 10% of men have cited "spotty cell service" for e-mails while on vacation
- 15% of men have cast a vote for an American Idol contestant via text message
- 50% of men would like to cast their ballot for the next U.S. President by pushing "send"
- 5% of men have spent at least $25 a month just on apps
- Youngest iPhone app developer is Lim Ding Wen, a 9 year old boy from Singapore
- $144,326 is the cost to purchase the entire 55,732 app iPhone library as of the end of July
The Game Show Network's "The Newlywed Game" is bringing on its first gay couple. A celebrity duo -- George Takei, who played Sulu on "Star Trek," and his partner, Brad Altman. They just celebrated their first anniversary after being married in Los Angeles. Takei and Altman have been together for 22 years.
The most fuel efficient car in the world is rolling off the assembly line at General Motors and should be in a showroom near you sometime next year. GM's Chevy Volt gets 230 miles per gallon in city driving on tests designed by the Environmental Protection Agency. The vehicle runs on a battery that you charge at any wall outlet for about 40 cents a day. It has a small gas run motor to power a generator if the battery runs down between charging. The Volt gets four times the mileage of the current efficiency king, the Toyota Prius, which scores a mere 48 miles per gallon. The revolutionary vehicle will go into wide distribution in 2010 with a price tag of $40,000, but the cost is expected to fall over time. (Sun)
This week, People releases its Best and Worst Dressed special double issue. The annual issue opens with the magazines's list of "The 10 Best Dressed Women of 2009." The Best Dressed Women of the year, according to People are:
- Kate Winslet, Best Red Carpet
- Vanessa Hudgens, Best Hippie Chic
- Reese Witherspoon, Best Short Dresses
- Cameron Diaz, Best Jeans
- Michelle Obama, Best Accessible Glamour
- Freida Pinto, Best Use of Color
- Taylor Swift, Best Sparkle
- Nicole Richie, Best Maternity
- Beyonce, Best Street Chic
- Kim Kardashian, Best Bikinis