ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1935, a car went over 300 miles an hour for the first time.
On this date in 1970, a 17.5 inch hailstone landed in Kansas.
Charlie Sheen turns 44, and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys is 67 today.
Fight Procrastination Day -- the first Wednesday in September. Counselors at the State University of New York at Buffalo say the most common reasons for procrastination are:
- Poor time-management
- Difficulty concentrating
- Fear and anxiety about the task at hand
- Negative beliefs that you can't succeed
- Personal problems that range from finances to your love life
- Finding the task boring
- Unrealistic expectations and the quest for perfection
- Fear of failure
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Ben and Jerry have changed the name of their Chubby Hubby flavor to Hubby Hubby, to honor gay marriage in Vermont.
- Michael Jackson's death certificate has been amended to reflect the cause of death as homicide and specifically state "injection by another," reports the BBC News.
- Meanwhile, a judge has ruled that Michael Jackson's estate will pay what are being called "extraordinary" expenses for the pop singer's funeral.
- Charlie Gibson is stepping down from the ABC Evening News desk. Diane Sawyer is going to take over, but my money on the long-term replacement is Anderson Cooper.
- Sony is going to start offering 3D TV sets at the end of next year.
- LeeAnn Rimes announced that she is getting divorced on her website Tuesday.
- You knew her as Karen from Will and Grace. Now, Megan Mullally is going to return to TV in a sitcom on Starz called "Party Down." It'll hit TV next season.
- David Boreanaz and his wife Jaime Bergman delivered the couple's second child this week. Her name: Bardot Vita Boreanaz.
- Filming for "Sex and the City 2" began this week.
- AMC has renewed "Mad Men" for a 4th season.
- Paula Abdul has told TV Guide that she'd like to end up doing a talk show.
- DJ AM had prescription pills in his stomach and one in his throat when police found him dead in his apartment, a New York City official said Wednesday. The pills appeared to be the painkiller OxyContin.
- Newsstand sales of magazines are down 12% this year. The top two sellers remain Cosmopolitan and People.
- By the way, the average dog's life in the U.S. is 12.8 years.
- Today is supposed to be the day that Michael Jackson is finally buried.
- All it took was a $900,000 offer and Lindsay Lohan will pose nude for Playboy.
Men are not afraid of marriage -- they're afraid of a bad marriage. That's the word from Carl Weisman, author of "So Why Have You Never Been Married? Ten Insights Into Why He Hasn't Wed." The lifelong bachelor says, "Men are 10 times more scared of marrying the wrong person than of never getting married at all." In 1980, just 6% of men who had reached their early 40s had never married, compared with 17% today. According to Weisman, there are four groups of bachelors:
- Those who are sure they never want to marry: 8%
- Those who do want to marry: 31%
- Those who want to marry, but won't settle for anything less than perfection: 31%
- Those who aren't sure if they want to marry: 30%
People who stink to high heaven and ride the city bus in Honolulu, Hawaii, could soon be fined and/or jailed for their B.O. The Honolulu City Council is considering a bill that would impose up to a $500 fine and/or up to six months in jail for public transit passengers convicted of being too smelly. If it passes, it would be illegal to have "odors that unreasonably disturb others or interfere with their use of the transit system." The offensive odor can be from the body, clothing or personal belongings.
Self magazine asked women, "What's your favorite recreation sport?"
- 50% said swimming
- 22% said tennis
- 15% said soccer
- 10% said golf
- 3% said flag football
Women have been getting better and better looking with the ages while guys just plain haven't, say scientists. And the logic is pretty simple researchers have found that beautiful women have more children than homelier women, and a higher proportion of their offspring are female. Therefore, over the generations women have become steadily more pleasing to the eye and the trend shows no signs of slowing down says researcher Markus Jokela of the University of Helsinki in Finland.
According to Glamour magazine:
- 5 times is the average number a woman looks at her face in the mirror each day.
- 42 dollars is the amount most women spend on a basic haircut.
- 49 minutes is the average amount of time a typical young woman puts into her looks daily.
- 23 dollars is the amount most women pay for a manicure.
- 81% of women believe beauty is too narrowly defined as appearance only.
- 29% of women say they wear make-up every day.
- 45% of women shampoo their hair daily.
- 68% of women say they've trimmed their hair at home.
- 76% of people say the first female president will be brunette.
- 65% of people say blonds are "more glamorous."
Why women in the U.S. complain about their hubbies is a mystery because a new study found that American men are the best. Researchers studied more than 13,000 men and women in 12 developed countries and American guys came out tops as husbands, followed by men from Norway, Sweden, England and Northern Ireland. Meanwhile, the worst dudes to marry were Australians. Researcher Dr. Almudena Sevia-Sanz from London's Oxford University believes American men were the winners because they're the most helpful around the house. But Aussie men make lousy mates because they're too macho and refuse to do anything considered women's work. Explains the doctor. "This study shows that in countries where the sexes are equal, there is less social stigma attached to men doing what was traditionally women's work." (National Examiner)