ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1609, Henry Hudson discovered Delaware Bay.
In this date in 1907, United Parcel Service began in Seattle.
The very first radio commercials were aired on this date in 1922.
In 1978, Don Vesco set a land record for riding a motorcycle 318 miles per hour.
LeAnn Rimes turns 27 today. "King Kong" star Jack Black hits the big 4-0, Shania Twain is 44 today. Baseball manager Lou Pinella turns 66, and David Soul also turns 66 today. On TV, he was half of "Starsky and Hutch."
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Frank Hanawalt died last week in Seattle at age 87. Frank was the principal of Seattle's Garfield High School back in the 60's and had the dubious honor of expelling a student for not attending classes. A student who would become rock legend Jimi Hendrix.
- Ellie Greenwich, who co-wrote '60s hits "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," has died at age 68 of a heart attack.
- Megan Fox as the next "Catwoman" is just a rumor, her agent says.
- Bob Dylan is coming out with his first Christmas album on October 13.
- Add Neil Patrick Harris to the ever-expanding list of celebrity judges for the next season of "American Idol."
- Men who have higher sperm counts and more lively sperm not only become fathers more easily, but also live longer says Danish researchers from the University of Southern Denmark in Odense.
- Really, a Star Trek cologne? Available in Tiberius, Red Shirt and Ponn Farr (the Vulcan mating cycle).
- 700,000 clunkers were taken off the road in the government's recent "Cash for Clunkers" program.
- Melanie Griffith has returned to a rehab facility to "reinforce her commitment to stay healthy."
- While performing in Romania, Madonna took a moment to acknowledge the plight of gypsies, for which she was booed.
- Songwriter Ellie Greenwich died this week at age 68. Among the songs she helped write: "Be my baby," "Leader of the Pack" and "Chapel of Love."
When it comes to boyfirends, a recent Glamour magazine poll of female friends found:
- 93% of women would tell a friend that she saw her boyfriend kissing another woman.
- 61% of women would not tell a co-worker she saw her boyfriend kissing another woman.
- 61% of women would not tell a stranger that she has spinach in her teeth.
- 76% of women would not date a friend's ex.
Here are ten things guys want to say to women but don't from Glamour:
- Too much makeup!
- Please, please order more than just a salad.
- They all look like cubic zirconia to me.
- I heard a noise. Can you go check it out?
- Could you possibly do that thing my ex-girlfriend used to do?
- I think your mom is kinda sexy.
- Frankly, I'm scared of your dad.
- Shoot, honey, don't ask me! I can't figure out the damn iPod either.
- Nice rack!
- Shhhh! You're gonna wake my roommate.
If you're feeling lonely tonight turn on the television. Four new studies show that TV can banish loneliness. But researchers warn that the boob tube is no substitute for real, live human interaction. Researchers at the University of Buffalo and Miami University of Ohio found that watching TV creates the illusion that social needs are being met. "The research provides evidence that humans can use technologies, such as television to provide the experience of belonging when no real belongingness has been experienced," notes study coauthor Shira Gabriel. "Other technologies, such as movies, music or video games, can also fulfill this need." But while TV can provide company for lonely folks, it's a "poor substitution" for human contact, according to the study report. Says researcher Jaye Derrick: "Turning one's back on family and friends for the solace of television may be maladaptive and leave a person with fewer resources over time." (National Examiner)
Nearly half of all men have found love and romance in the office. 45% of men ages 25-40 say they have had an office romance, compared with 35% of women, according to a recent Harris Interactive survey sponsored by Glamour and lawyers.com. Even when the man and the woman are single and willing, not all interoffice romances are acceptable. While 75% of employees agree that a romance between peers is perfectly acceptable, only 14% think dating your own manager is okay and just 18% approve of going out with a subordinate. What constitutes sexual harassment?
- Being threatened with your job for not performing sexual favors for your supervisor of the opposite sex.
- Being asked out on a date by your supervisor of the opposite sex.
- Supervisors complimenting employees on their body or physique.
Mental health issues such as depression are now the most common reason for visiting the doctor, up 30 percent in the past decade, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality in Rockville, Maryland. The jump may be because seeking help for emotional problems carries less stigma than it once did.
Three-quarters of anglers are more hooked on fishing than they are on making whoopee. In fact, more than half of the 1,000 fishermen surveyed also would prefer to snag a record breaking trout or salmon than spend the night with a supermodel. Naturally, 46% of the anglers also confess that they lie about the real size of their catches to impress people. And the sportsmen admitted that they spend eight times more money on their fishing hobby than they did on gifts for their partners.
A recent study proves what women have known all along: Men are idiots when it comes to their health. Emergency room physician Dr. David Jerrard has found that guys often put off crucial trips to the ER until after the sports program they're watching on TV is over. Jerrard noticed a 30 percent drop in the number of men seeking emergency medical treatment at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore during sports broadcasts. Immediately after the game ended, the number of male ER admissions leaped 40 percent above average. The conclusion: Bozo was ignoring symptoms of a heart attack, stroke or some other medical crisis until he found out if his team would be on the winning end of the final score. There's a message in this for wives and girlfriends. If your man starts showing signs that something serious is wrong with him, dial 911 without asking his permission. You could save his life.