ON THIS DAY
On this date in 1227 the Mongol leader Genghis Khan died in 1227.
In 1587, Virginia Dare became the first child of white parents to be born in America.
On this date in 1932, Amelia Earhart became the first woman to ever make a non-stop trip across the U.S.
In 1958, an investigation began on TV game shows.
On this date in 1960, the very first birth control pills were sold in the U.S.
Malcolm-Jamal Warner, who played Theo on the Cosby Show, turns 39.
Christian Slater turns the big 4-0. Denis Leary is 52 today. He's got quite a hit on his hands with his show, "Rescue Me." It's about a group of New York City firefighters.
Patrick Swayze celebrates 57 today as he continues to fight cancer.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Joining Jay Leno for his first show September 14th, along with Jay Z, Kanye West and Rihanna: Jerry Seinfeld!
- Katie Holmes exclusive clothing line, "Holmes and Yang," will arrive in an L.A. boutique late next month!
- Mary J. Blige will visit "American Idol" this upcoming season as a guest judge.
- Police were called in to the Gosselin home again Saturday night. It was Jon's night to be there and Kate showed up. Shouting ensued. Kate spent the night in a hotel.
- After six seasons, it appears Comedy Central has canceled "Reno: 9-1-1"
- Hugh Grant says he's about to give up acting because of the severity of his "stage fright."
- Mark Wahlberg had to be rushed to a hospital on Friday after inhaling too much fake smoke on the set of his new movie.
- Paula Abdul was ticked at the producers of "Ugly Betty", saying she was going to be on their show, and has now changed her mind. No Paula for you!
- Jim Dickinson died over the weekend at age 67. He was a Memphis musician with worked with a lot of names from Aretha Franklin to the Flamin Groovies. He played the piano on the Rolling Stones song, "Wild Horses."
- An arrest warrant has been issued for Bobby Brown in Massachusetts on a contempt charge.
- A new poll shows that 57% of Americans feel that the economic stimulus package was too expensive and didn't work as well as it should have.
- Eva Longoria is busy getting her new restaurant ready, Beso Las Vegas, to open in 2010. She also hopes to open a satellite restaurant at LAX.
- In Manchester, New Hampshire, they did it. That 1,223 pound cupcake they created is the new world record holder. Triple vanilla with pink frosting, if you're curious.
- The new KISS cd will only be found at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club when it rolls out on October 6th.
When your kids use the Internet's search function, do you wonder what they're looking for? Parents, pay attention. Symantec (Norton) studied logged web page visits made through its OnlineFamily.Norton, a web-monitoring service for parents, discovering that kids are looking at porn. "Sex" came in at #4 and "porn" at #6 in the survey that scanned 3.5 million searches done between February 2008 and July 2009. Top 10 children's search terms:
- Michael Jackson
- Fred (YouTube star)
People who have high IQs are less likely to believe in God than people of average and below average intelligence, according to Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ireland's University of Ulster. Lynn claims that the general decline in religious observance over the last century is directly related to a rise in average intelligence. The smarter we are the more likely we are to shun religious services. So what would Jesus say: "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." (Matthew 11:25)
With all the talk about Michael Jackson' estate, Perez Hilton says some people got curious as to what the other Jackson children are worth. Well, detailed paperwork about a possible tour involving all the Jackson siblings may reveal the answer. The new grouping, called the Jackson 8, has been formed through a New Jersey-based promoter called AllGood Entertainment and the company is hoping to put the Jackson's out on a 10-city U.S. tour. The only thing standing in the way of this reunion is, of course, money. The rest of the siblings are upset that younger sister, and proposed lead singer for the group, Janet Jackson, is making 4 times as much money as the rest of the group. The tour pay scale in the proposal is specifically broken out as follows:
- Janet Jackson, $4 million
- Jermaine Jackson, $1.5 million
- Jackie Jackson, $1.5 million
- Randy Jackson, $1.5 million
- Marlon Jackson, $1.5 million
- Tito Jackson, $1.5 million
- La Toya Jackson, $500,000
- Rebbie Jackson, $250,000
Women want to have sex just as much as men do. But there's one catch. They must be in a committed relationship. The old sexual stereotypes hold that men have one thing on their minds, while women aren't all that interested. This may be true for single men and women, but once both genders are in a committed relationship -- even without marriage -- they have similar attitudes about sex, according to a study from the University of Florida.
Men are "always" thinking about sex, according to researchers at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction at Indiana University. They say 54% of men think about sex several times a day, compared with just 19% of women. Neuropsychiatrist Dr. Louann Brizendine, author of "The Female Brain," writes in her book that men think about sex every 52 seconds, while women tend to think of it just once a day. And get this, ABC News reports that researchers at the University of Minnesota concluded that sexy subliminal images competed for attention in the human brain even when those images were not right in front of the person's eyes.